Yield: 8 Servings
Cost per Serving: $1.65
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Sodium: 474mg
- 8 beets
- 3 small red onions, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 4 Granny Smith apples (1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 curly red lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese
- 3/4 cup toasted pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Trim beet greens, leaving a 1-inch piece of stem. Scrub beets and dry on paper towels. Sort by size and tightly wrap and seal large and small beets separately, along with onions, in two heavy-duty aluminum-foil packages. Place packets on a baking sheet. Roast until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour for small beets and 1 1/4 hours for large. Unwrap packages and let cool for about 15 minutes. Peel and trim beets and onions, halve crosswise and thinly slice. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, 1 1/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper to beet mixture and stir until blended. Refrigerate, tightly covered, until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
- At least 2 hours and up to 12 hours before serving, peel, core and cut apples into 1/4-inch slices. Cut each slice crosswise into 3 pieces. Transfer to a bowl, add lemon juice and toss to coat. Add sour cream, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper and stir until blended. Cover and refrigerate apple mixture.
- To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter. Top with beet mixture and apple mixture separately. Sprinkle with cheese and pecans and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads