- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
- 24 white bread slices, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup almond liqueur*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh sage
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add apple; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add bread and next 8 ingredients to Dutch oven, tossing gently to combine. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Bake, covered, at 325° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until golden. Serve with baked or grilled pork chops, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
* 2 teaspoons almond extract may be substituted for 1/4 cup almond liqueur.