I had to make this after reading the single review and had to wonder how this would be if the butter were BROWNED, not burned! So in the interest of fairness, I made it exactly as written. Bottom line, for not having any levening except the eggwhites, this was a nice little coffeecake. I love brown butter, and often sub it in muffins, etc. This could have used a bit less, and a little tweaking with some vanilla and some warm spice...I suspect this cake maybe a kosher adaptation, not sure, but really its not bad at all. Just don't burn the butter!!
Apple-Almond Browned Butter Cake
Notes: Purchased dulce de leche may be too thick to pour onto the cake; warm briefly in a microwave oven to soften. If baking cake up to 2 days ahead, let cool, wrap airtight, and store at room temperature. Freeze to store longer; thaw to room temperature to serve.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 613
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 9.5g
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 334mg
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- About 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cups slivered almonds
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- About 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 large egg whites (1 1/8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Warm caramel sauce or purchased dulce de leche (see notes)
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, melt 1 1/2 cups butter and stir often until the milk-solid particles turn golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove at once from heat and let stand until warm, 15 to 20 minutes (or nest pan in cold water and stir often, 5 to 8 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, whirl 3/4 cup slivered almonds to a fine powder (or finely grate with a nut grater); scrape into a large bowl. Spread remaining 1 cup slivered almonds in a 10- by 15-inch pan.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until slivered almonds are golden brown, 6 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- 4. To bowl with ground almonds, add toasted almonds, sugar, and 1 1/4 cups flour. Stir to mix well. Scrape melted butter with all browned particles into bowl; mix. Add egg whites, lemon peel, and orange peel. Beat with a mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until batter is well blended. Add chopped apples and stir to mix.
- 5. Butter and flour a 9-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim. Scrape batter into pan.
- 6. Bake in a 325° oven (300° convection oven) until cake is golden brown, firm in the center when lightly pressed, and begins to pull from pan sides, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cake stand in pan on a rack at least 20 minutes or until cool, about 1 hour. Slide a thin-bladed knife between warm or cool cake and pan rim; remove rim. Set cake on a rimmed plate and, if desired, pour about 1/2 cup warm caramel sauce over the top. Cut into wedges; serve with scoops of ice cream and remaining caramel sauce to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note