I make it every Christmas. I watch the butter and take it off when it's at the right color, instead of timing it.
Apple-Almond Browned Butter Cake
Photo: James Carrier
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 613
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 9.5g
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 334mg
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- About 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cups slivered almonds
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- About 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 large egg whites (1 1/8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Warm caramel sauce or purchased dulce de leche (see notes)
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a 12-inch frying pan or 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, melt 1 1/2 cups butter and stir often until the milk-solid particles turn golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove at once from heat and let stand until warm, 15 to 20 minutes (or nest pan in cold water and stir often, 5 to 8 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, whirl 3/4 cup slivered almonds to a fine powder (or finely grate with a nut grater); scrape into a large bowl. Spread remaining 1 cup slivered almonds in a 10- by 15-inch pan.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until slivered almonds are golden brown, 6 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- 4. To bowl with ground almonds, add toasted almonds, sugar, and 1 1/4 cups flour. Stir to mix well. Scrape melted butter with all browned particles into bowl; mix. Add egg whites, lemon peel, and orange peel. Beat with a mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until batter is well blended. Add chopped apples and stir to mix.
- 5. Butter and flour a 9-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim. Scrape batter into pan.
- 6. Bake in a 325° oven (300° convection oven) until cake is golden brown, firm in the center when lightly pressed, and begins to pull from pan sides, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cake stand in pan on a rack at least 20 minutes or until cool, about 1 hour. Slide a thin-bladed knife between warm or cool cake and pan rim; remove rim. Set cake on a rimmed plate and, if desired, pour about 1/2 cup warm caramel sauce over the top. Cut into wedges; serve with scoops of ice cream and remaining caramel sauce to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts