I made this recipe exactly as written with the exception of the paprika. I could not find hot paprika, so I substituted half regular and half smoked paprika. The best part about the meal was the pepper sauce; it was very tasty. I think 1/2" pieces is too small for an entree. I do not think the effort put into preparing this meal warranted the outcome. I thought it was just mediocre and will not be making it again.
Anticuchos (Peruvian Beef Kebabs)
These spicy beef kebabs are enjoyed day and night in Peruvian restaurants and at the pushcarts of street vendors. If you live in an area with a large Peruvian community, you may be able to buy whole or ground aji amarillo. If not, use hot paprika in its place, as we did in testing the recipe. We also tried Spanish smoked paprika, which you can find at www.tienda.com.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 188
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 26.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.4g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 809mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground aji amarillo or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Fiery rub:
- 1 teaspoon ground aji amarillo or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cooking spray
- Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce
- To prepare the beef, combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 3 hours.
- To prepare fiery rub, combine 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, turmeric, and parsley.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove beef from bowl, discarding marinade. Thread beef onto each of 6 (10-inch) skewers. Press fiery rub onto beef. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning once. Serve with Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note