Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes. Notes: You can store these cookies airtight for up to 3 days.
Yield: Makes about 75 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 52
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 6.8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Cholesterol: 9.5mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed anise seeds
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons anise-flavored liqueur
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Beat in egg yolk. Stir or beat in flour and anise seeds until well blended.
- 2. Divide dough into eight equal portions. Roll each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick rope. Evenly space four ropes on each of two buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. With the side of your little finger, press a 1/4-inch-deep groove down the length of each rope.
- 3. Bake ropes in a 375° oven just until beginning to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon jam into grooves. Bake until ropes are firm to touch and slightly darker, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes.
- 4. In a bowl, stir powdered sugar and anise-flavored liqueur until smooth. Drizzle mixture back and forth across ropes. Cut ropes diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Let cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note