Made this for a potluck dinner. Very easy and it was good to be able to make it in advance. Since it was summer; used fresh raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries (one container each) tossed with the sugar. There were rave reviews at the dinner with several asking for the recipe.
Angelic Berry Trifle
Prep: 15 minutes; Refrigerate: 1 hour or more. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries all rank in the top 20 of the government's list of antioxidant-rich foods. Great for your heart and full of fiber, almonds can help keep you at a healthy weight.
More From Health
- Calories: 202
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 256mg
- Calcium: 99mg
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces angel food cake, cut in 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1. Make the pudding according to package directions, using 2 cups low-fat milk. Refrigerate until ready to assemble trifle.
- 2. Place remaining 2 tablespoons milk and cream cheese in a bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble trifle.
- 3. Toss berries with sugar; set aside.
- 4. Place cream in a bowl, and beat with cold beaters on high speed until stiff peaks form; refrigerate.
- 5. Place half the berries on the bottom of a straight-sided 2- or 3-quart clear dish. Top the berries with half the angel food cake slices, overlapping slightly.
- 6. Stir the pudding and cream cheese mixtures together, and gently fold in whipped cream. Pour 2 cups pudding mixture over cake, and top with 1/4 cup almonds. Use the remaining cake to form another layer, and top it with the remaining berries. Pour the remaining pudding mixture over the berries, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note