Angel Shortbread Cookies
These angels get their iridescent glow from sparkling sugar, sold at some gourmet grocers and at cake decorating and kitchen shops. You can order 8 ounces for $6 or 3.3 ounces for $4 from La Cuisine - The Cook's Resource in Alexandria, Virginia, at 1-800-521-1176.
This recipe goes with Chocolate Truffle Angel Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 (3.3-ounce) jars white sparkling sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (optional)
- 4 (2-ounce) vanilla candy coating squares
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg yolk and vanilla; beat 1 minute or until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Divide dough into 3 portions; shape each into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Sprinkle parchment with flour, and unwrap each dough portion on a lightly floured surface. Roll each into a 9- x 6-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick). Cut dough using a angel-shaped cookie cutter. Reserve trimmings. Freeze angels on baking sheets 15 minutes; slide angels at least 3 inches apart.
- Whisk together egg and whipping cream. Brush angel cookies lightly with mixture, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown; cool on pan 10 minutes. Transfer cookies with parchment paper to a wire rack to cool.
- Press together reserved dough trimmings; roll out on a lightly floured parchment paper-lined baking sheet to 1/4-inch thickness; cut with a 1-inch star-shaped cutter. Remove and discard trimmings. Brush stars lightly with egg mixture, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, reserving remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until stars are golden brown. Remove with parchment paper to a wire rack to cool.
- Brush upper one-third of back of each angel lightly with corn syrup, and sprinkle with reserved sparkling sugar, if desired. Let dry.
- Microwave candy coating in a 4-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice. Pour into a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle a small amount onto backs of 6 stars (reserve extra stars for other uses). Attach 1 star to center of each angel.
- Drizzle in desired design over wings. Make small dots with coating along upper edge of halos. Let stand until hard. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 6 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note