Angel Food Shortcakes
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Carbohydrate: 63.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 106mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries or raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with wax paper; set aside.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine the flour and 6 tablespoons sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 6 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in 3/4 teaspoon juice and extracts.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spread batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place a clean dishtowel over a large wire rack; dust towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan; turn out onto dishtowel. Carefully peel off wax paper. Lightly coat another large wire rack with cooking spray; place over cake. Invert cake; remove first rack and towel. Cool completely.
- To prepare sauce, combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons brandy, 2 teaspoons juice, and raspberries in a food processor. Process until well blended. Press mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup. Discard solids.
- To prepare fruit, combine blackberries, blueberries, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons brandy. Let stand 1 hour.
- To prepare glaze, combine jam and water in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave at high 30 seconds or until jam melts, stirring once.
- Cut the cake into 12 rectangles using a serrated knife. Place 1 cake rectangle on each of 6 dessert plates. Drizzle each serving with 2 teaspoons glaze; top each serving with 1/2 cup fruit mixture and 1 cake rectangle. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the sauce around each shortcake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Angel Food Shortcakes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Eggs, Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Father's Day, July 4th, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light