Andouille and Red Beans with Rice
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces andouille sausage, diced
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 (16-ounce) can dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- calories 245
- caloriesfromfat 21 %
- fat 5.6 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 11.7 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- cholesterol 20 mg
- iron 2.7 mg
- sodium 900 mg
- calcium 41 mg
How to Make It
Cook rice according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl, and keep warm.
Add bell pepper, onion, Cajun seasoning, thyme, and hot pepper sauce to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add beans and broth to pan; cook 8 minutes or until thick, mashing half the beans. Add sausage, parsley, and salt to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.
While the beans and rice simmer, prepare and bake a corn bread mix for a quick and easy side.