Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 cup flour tortillas
- ROASTED HUBBARD SQUASH PUMPKIN PIE
- Amy Holmes Hehn
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Measure butter & shortening onto a plate, put into freezer for about 20 minutes.
- 2. Measure flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds to mix.
- 3. Add the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients and pulse off and on for about 1 minute until the fat chunks are pea-sized in the flour. Do not over-process.
- 4. In a measuring cup, mix egg yolk and vinegar together, add ice cubes and water. Chill for 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5. Remove flour and shortening from processor, put into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle approximately 4 to 5 tablespoons of the egg, water, vinegar mixture, a little at a time, into the flour, mixing gently with a fork, until clumps of sticky dough begin to form and hold together. The key to this: You do not want a wet dough, and you do not want to overmix.
- 6. Place this dough onto plastic wrap, press into a flat disk without kneading or over-working, and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- 7. Remove from refrigerator and roll out, lift into pie pan using a rolling pin, prick bottom with a fork and dress entire crust with egg white.
- 2 cups Hubbard squash puree
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup bourbon (Wild Turkey)
- 1/2 tablespoon molasses
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon + 2 pinches salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the squash and scoop out the seeds and fibers, cut into quarters. Place the squash in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until tender when pricked with a fork, about 40 minutes. While still hot, scoop the squash away from the rind and into a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- 2. Transfer 2 cups of squash puree to a large bowl and stir in the butter so it melts. Whisk in the sugar, bourbon, molasses, eggs and egg yolk, milk, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla until smooth.
- 3. Carefully pour the squash mixture into the unbaked crust. Sprinkle the edges of the crust with Sugar in the Raw. Bake the pie until the center is just set, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 4. Bake center leaf decoration separately and place on the pie when the pie is nearly done (so that it doesn't sink into the filling)
- 5. Cool the pie on a rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Lnwoods and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Amy's pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts