Yield: three 9-inch coffee cakes
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cream lard; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in dissolved yeast, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down; cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shaping each portion into a ball. Place each ball in a greased 9- inch pie pan. Press lightly with fingertips to form a large bun. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 1/2 hours.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the buns. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note