- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup Crisco® Butter Shortening
- 1 stick Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 red apple, peeled, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Additional chopped pecans (optional)
How to Make It
HEAT oven to 325°F. Spray a 12 cup fluted pan or 10-inch tube pan with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
BEAT egg whites in bowl of electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; transfer to another bowl.
COMBINE shortening, sugar and egg yolks. Beat at medium speed until well blended.
COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture. Beat at low speed until mixed. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Reduce speed to low.
ADD pineapple with juice, sour cream and almond extract. Beat until blended. Stir in egg whites, apple and 1 cup nuts with spoon. Spoon into prepared pan.
BAKE 45 to 55 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 to 7 minutes. Refrigerate 5 minutes before removing from pan. Place cake, top side up, on wire rack. Cool completely. Place cake on serving plate.
COMBINE powdered sugar, milk and lemon juice in small bowl; drizzle over top of cake, letting excess glaze run down side.
SPRINKLE with additional nuts, if desired, before glaze hardens.