Ambrosia Chess Tarts
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 14 tarts
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 2 (14.1-oz.) packages refrigerated piecrusts*
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plain white cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Toppings: toasted coconut, sweetened whipped cream, orange sections, fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Cut piecrusts into 14 (4 1/2-inch) rounds. Press each dough round into a lightly greased 3 1/2-inch brioche mold, pressing up sides. Fold dough over edge of molds, and pinch to secure. Arrange molds on a baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on baking sheet on a wire rack (about 30 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together sugar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and next 3 ingredients, and whisk until blended. Stir in coconut and next 2 ingredients. Spoon coconut mixture into cooled pastry shells, filling almost full.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and center of tarts is almost set. (Filling will continue to cook as it cools.) Cool tarts completely on baking sheet on wire rack (about 1 hour). Loosen tarts from molds using a small knife; remove tarts from molds. Serve with desired toppings.
- *2 (8- or 10-oz.) packages frozen tart shells may be substituted. Bake as directed in Step 1.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts