Prep: 20 min., Cook: 35 min. Amatriciana is an Italian-style pasta sauce prepared with bacon or pancetta and tomatoes.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Garnishes: freshly grated Romano cheese, chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
- 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon. Wipe skillet clean.
- 3. Sauté garlic and crushed red pepper in hot oil in skillet over low heat 4 minutes or until garlic is golden. Increase heat to medium, add onion, and sauté 8 minutes or until golden. Add wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook 8 minutes or until wine has almost completely evaporated. Stir in tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Stir tomato mixture and 1 cup Romano cheese into rigatoni until combined. Top with crumbled bacon; garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes