It came out very delicious but the review only gets 4 stars b/c they didn't give us a temp or time (then I looked at the original wedding cake recipe/not the batter recipe, and found the temp & cook time). The cake came out crusty on the outside but perfect inside. Moist, not too sweet & just right especially if you're adding a very rich icing & filling. I would suggest using a very fine granulated sugar. Regular sugar is too grainy & I could taste the sugar crystals when eating the cake. Everyone that ate this cake that I made for my Husband's birthday party said they gave it 5 stars & I received many complements. I layered the cake (using five 8" round cake layers)with buttercream frosting & strawberry pie filling between layers. I then frosted the entire cake with the buttercream frosting & decorated with red gel squirted all over it & a simple border decor on top rim & bottom rim. I made a beautiful Dexter Crime scene cake. Noone believed at first that I actually made it myself!
Amaretto Cream Cake Batter
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extracts; beat until blended.
- 2. Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- 3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This