- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) package pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
How to Make It
Cream shortening in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Grind together dates, pecans, and raisins. Stir fruit mixture, spices, and salt into creamed mixture. Dissolve soda in half-and- half; stir into fruit mixture. Stir in flour to make a stiff dough.
Divide dough into thirds; shape each portion into a roll, 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap rolls in waxed paper, and chill overnight or until firm.
Cut into 1/4-inch slices; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool completely on wire racks.