Yes, you can always use instant. But food editor Margo True swears by steel-cut: "I love it because it has a chewier texture than instant or ordinary rolled oats and a deep, nutty flavor." It also freezes well (add the fruit after defrosting), so make a big batch on the weekend.
- 1 cup Irish steel-cut oats
- Golden raisins
- Sunflower or canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Honey, to taste
- Hot milk or water, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped banana
- 1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Toasted sweetened coconut
- 1. Cook oats according to package instructions, but adding 1/2 cup more water. As soon as the oats boil, add some golden raisins, a drizzle of sunflower or canola oil, and a pinch or two of kosher salt.
- 2. When the oats are done, stir in a spoonful or two of honey to taste and hot milk or water to get the consistency you like. Add banana, pineapple, and some toasted sliced almonds. Top with toasted sweetened coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note