Ground natural almonds and almond extract pump up this shortbread with nutty goodness.
Yield: 17 cookies
- 2/3 cup natural almonds, toasted (see Note)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground. Set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in almond extract.
- Combine ground almonds, flour, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Roll dough to 1/2" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2 1/2" round cutter or Christmas cookie cutter. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 275° for 45 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Note: Toast natural almonds on a baking sheet at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes or until they smell fragrant. Then cool and grind almonds in a food processor until almost a powder consistency. We found that leaving the skins on the nuts adds a pleasing speckled appearance and rich flavor to the shortbread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This