I like quinoa and it's versatility. But this dish was just uninteresting. Yes it's a nice side but there just wasn't much flavor. Given all the great things you can do with quinoa I won't bother with this one again.
Nutty Almond-Sesame Red Quinoa
We love the color and texture of red quinoa, but regular quinoa also works well.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 31.6g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 132mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1. Bring 1 2/3 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 12 minutes or until quinoa is tender; drain. Stir in almonds, juice, oils, salt, and onions.
- Balsamic and Grape Quinoa: Prepare quinoa as directed in main recipe; drain. Place quinoa in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 20 halved seedless red grapes, stirring to combine. Serves 4 (serving size: about 3/4 cup) CALORIES 201; FAT 4.8g (sat 0.3g); SODIUM 133mg
- Lemon-Snap Pea Quinoa: Prepare quinoa as directed in main recipe; drain. Add 1 cup diagonally halved sugar snap peas, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, stirring to combine. Serves 4 (serving size: about 2/3 cup) CALORIES 201; FAT 6g (sat 0.5g); SODIUM 131mg
- Bean Salad Quinoa: Prepare quinoa as directed in main recipe; drain. Add 1/4 cup minced red onion; 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar; 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil; 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed and drained; and 2 diced plum tomatoes, stirring to combine. Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 cup) CALORIES 243; FAT 6.4g (sat 0.5g); SODIUM 150mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note