Almond-Poppy Seed Swirls
Frozen bread dough allows you to serve ooey-gooey poppy seed rolls in half the time of homemade yeast rolls. Just remember to plan ahead for thawing the dough.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 12 Hours, 35 Minutes
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 29.8g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen white bread dough
- 3 tablespoons light stick butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Thaw dough in refrigerator 12 hours.
- 2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; let rest 5 minutes. Pat or roll dough into a 15 x 8-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick). Spread butter evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Combine brown sugar, poppy seeds, and almond extract; spread evenly over butter. Starting at a long edge, roll up dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll).
- 3. Place a long piece of dental floss or string under dough 1 1/4 inches from end of roll. Cross ends of string over top of roll; slowly pull ends to cut through dough. Place slice, cut side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat slice with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining roll of dough, placing slices 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine powdered sugar and milk, stirring until smooth. Place glaze in a small zip-top plastic bag; seal. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag; drizzle glaze evenly over warm rolls, and sprinkle with almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads