- 3 cup(s) roasted almonds
- 3/4 cup(s) unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 1 2/3 cup(s) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) light honey
- 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°. Spread the almonds and pistachios on a large baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over on two opposite sides. Lightly spray the paper with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar and dust the pan with half of the mixture.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, combine the 1 2/3 cups of granulated sugar with ¼ cup of the honey and the water and bring to a boil. When the temperature of the syrup reaches 245° F on a candy thermometer, after 20 to 30 minutes, bring the remaining1/2 cup honey to a boil in a small saucepan. Continue cooking the sugar syrup.
- 3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites with the salt until firm peaks form. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and beat until combined.
- 4. When the pure honey reaches 265° F on a candy thermometer, after 5 to 8 minutes, add it in a fast, steady stream to the egg whites with the mixer at medium-high speed. When the sugar syrup reaches 305° F, add it to the egg whites in a fast, steady stream and beat at high speed until the mixture is pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Using an oiled wooden spoon, immediately stir in the hot nuts (the nougat will be a bit stiff).
- 5. Scrape the nougat mixture into the prepared pan, and, using oiled hands, press it into an even layer. Dust the remaining cornstarch mixture on top, cover and let cool.
- 6. Lift the nougat from the pan and brush off the excess cornstarch powder. Using a serrated knife, cut the nougat into ¾-inch slices. Cut the slices in pieces and serve, or wrap in wax paper and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note