Almond Pistachio Baklava
Stand: 8 Hours
- 3 3/4 cup(s) sugar, divided
- 2 cup(s) water
- 3/4 cup(s) honey
- 2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 4 cup(s) unsalted pistachios
- 3 cup(s) unsalted unblanched almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup(s) butter, melted
- 3 package(s) (16 ounces each, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough , thawed
- • In a small saucepan, bring 2-3/4 cups sugar, water, honey and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- • In a food processor, combine pistachios and almonds; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; set aside. Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll one package of phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Discard scraps.
- • Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter. Repeat layers 14 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture.
- • Top with 15 layers of buttered phyllo dough and a third of the nut mixture; repeat layers. Top with remaining phyllo dough, buttering each layer.
- • Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a wire rack. Slowly pour cooled sugar syrup over baklava. Cover and let stand overnight. Yield: 44 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note