Almond-Milk Creamed Spinach
Photo: Christina Holmes
This creamed spinach is so silky and light that you won't miss the cream. The crunchy bread crumb topping is a fantastic addition.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour
- 20 ounces (4 bags) baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano or Cotija cheese, grated
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons marcona almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of water. Add the spinach by the handful; allow each handful to wilt before adding more. When the spinach is wilted, drain it, pressing out as much water as possible. Wipe out the pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the pot. Add the shallots; cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the almond milk and simmer until very thick, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the panko and almonds and sprinkle over the creamed spinach. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This