Almond Joy Layer Cake
Community Recipe from
- 2/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick(s) (4 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 ounce(s) semisweet chocolate, chopped(about 1/2 c.)
- 2 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 4 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, plus a big pinch
- 3 whole(s) eggs
- 1/12 cup(s) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 bag(s) (14 oz.)sweetened, shredded coconut(4 pcked cups)
- 2 cup(s) sliced almonds
- 3 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup(s) confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 8-inch-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment and butter the parchment.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, bring 2/3 c. water to a boil. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Whisk in the butter and chocolate over low heat until melted, about 2 min. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 1/2 c. sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk in 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Pour in the chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir in 1 packed cup coconut. Divide the batter between the pans and bake in the lower third of the oven for 35 min. or until firm in the center. Let cool in the pans on racks for 10 min., then invert onto racks to cool completely.
- 4. While the cake cools, spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 12 min; let cool.
- 5. In a saucepan, combine 3/4 c. cream, the remaining 3/4 c. sugar and pinch salt and simmer, stirring, over med. heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 min. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tsp. vanilla and 3 packed cups coconut. When cool, fold in 1 1/2 c. almonds.
- 6. Split the cake layers to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer cut side up on a cake stand and spread with 1 c. of the coconut-almond mixture. Top with the second layer cut side down and spread with 1 c. more of the mixture. Repeat with the remaining 2 cake layers and filling, spreading the filling on the top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hrs to firm up.
- 7. Whip the remaining 2 1/4 c. cream with the confectioners' sugar until stiff. Spread over the cake. Sprinkle the top with the remaining almonds.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jeanna77 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Almond Joy Layer Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts