Puff-pastry straws are endlessly versatile: You can invent your own fillings and seasonings. Nibble these with tea or coffee. Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes. Notes: The amounts given here are just guidelines; use any amount of pastry you have on hand, but try to roll it into a rough rectangle to begin with.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 137
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 1.9g
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 32mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- About 1/2 cup flour for rolling pastry
- 1/2 pound chilled puff pastry
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped sliced almonds
- Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp. water)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Flour a work surface and a rolling pin. Set puff pastry on surface, sprinkle lightly with flour, and roll out into a rectangle about 8 in. by 12 in. and 1/8 in. thick. Arrange pastry so that it's horizontal and trim edges even.
- 2. Drizzle or spoon 1/4 cup honey evenly over entire pastry (don't spread) and sprinkle half of pastry with 1/4 cup almonds. Fold honeyed half over almonds, like closing a book. Sprinkle top of pastry with flour and roll back out into a rectangle about 2/3 the size of the one you began with. Drizzle or spoon another 1/4 cup honey over entire pastry, sprinkle half with another 1/4 cup very finely chopped almonds, and fold honeyed half over. Roll with the pin a few times to seal.
- 3. With a sharp knife, cut pastry lengthwise into 1/3-in.-wide strips. Twist each strip loosely a couple of times and put on an ungreased baking sheet (push ends onto sheet to keep straw from untwisting; you may need 2 sheets). Put straws in freezer for 20 minutes so they firm up, then dab tops of strips lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- 4. Bake straws until medium golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool 1 minute, then loosen gently from sheet with spatula. Serve warm or cool.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per straw.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note