All-Occasion Generals Rolls
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (105° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Butter or margarine, melted (optional)
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm milk in a large bowl, stirring well; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add remaining sugar, shortening, salt, and 1 1/2 cups flour; beat at low speed of electric mixer until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough into 16 portions. Roll each portion into a 10-inch rope on a lightly floured surface. Loosely coil ropes on a greased baking sheet. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush rolls with melted butter, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note