- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large green bell pepper, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped smoked ham
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 bacon slices
How to Make It
Stir together ground beef and next 11 ingredients in a large bowl just until combined. Shape mixture into 2 (9- x 4-inch) loaves; place in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan.
Pour half of tomato sauce evenly over each loaf, and arrange 2 bacon slices over each loaf.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Mini Alabama Meat Loaves: Shape mixture into 12 (2- x 4-inch) loaves, and arrange on a rack in a foil-lined broiler pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
To make ahead: Omit tomato sauce and bacon. Wrap unbaked meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, unwrap, and proceed as directed.