Alabama Corn Griddle Cakes
Yield: about 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Butter or margarine
- Combine cornmeal and water in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add milk to cornmeal mixture, stirring well. Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt; stir into cornmeal mixture. Add beaten egg and 2 tablespoons melted butter; stir well.
- Drop batter by 2 tablespoonfuls onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. (Stir mixture frequently to prevent cornmeal from settling.) Turn cakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges are browned. Serve hot with butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch