Moist and delicious. It was wonderful with Kale and Sausage Soup. Did not need dessert, just had another piece of cornbread.
This Ain't No Yankee Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk, or more if needed
- 1. Place 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in a 6 1/2-inch Lodge cast iron skillet; place skillet in the oven while it preheats to 425°.
- 2. Whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and remaining 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. (The mixture should pour like pancake batter; if not, add a little more buttermilk.)
- 3. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake until the crust is dark golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot, no chaser.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads