- 1 pound skinless yellowfin (ahi) or albacore tuna fillet (1 in. thick), in one piece
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs each flat-leaf parsley and fresh mint
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 wide strips lemon zest
- 3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 baguette slices
- Minced flat-leaf parsley, radishes, and green olives, for garnish
- calories 139
- caloriesfromfat 16 %
- protein 10 g
- fat 2.6 g
- satfat 0.5 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 0.9 g
- sodium 459 mg
- cholesterol 13 mg
How to Make It
Cut tuna in half lengthwise. Combine spices in a small bowl. Season tuna all over with spices and put in a 4- by 8-in. loaf pan. Chill, covered, 3 to 5 hours.
Preheat oven to 300°. Add bay leaf, herb sprigs, garlic, and zest to tuna, tucking them around fish; pour in enough oil to cover by 1/4 in.
Bake tuna 25 minutes, uncovered, lowering heat if necessary to keep oil from boiling. Let tuna cool to room temperature in oil.
Lift one piece of tuna from oil; separate into thick flakes. Top baguette slices with tuna, using more if needed, and arrange on a platter with olives and radishes. Scatter minced parsley over platter. Drizzle tuna with some of the oil, and flick some oil onto the olives and radishes too.
Make ahead: Through step 3, up to 10 days, chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.