I have an older Crockpot so it cooks more slower than some of the newer ones the writers of the bad reviews must have used. We absolutely LOVED this recipe. I had to cook it a little longer to get the sweet potatoes done, and I used half a jalapeno, seeded and chopped instead of the canned chiles. One of the best things I've ever cooked, and I cook a lot.
African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans
Vivid colors and fragrant spices are the hallmarks of this thick stew, which is garnished with crunchy peanuts. A squeeze of lime juice at the table brightens the rich, earthy flavors.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups stew, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts, and 1 lime wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 308
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Carbohydrate: 49.9g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 lime wedges
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with peanuts; serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews