I used a store bought crust and golden delicious apples and this pie was delicious! My teen aged sons love it.
Adreena Barmakian and Jayne Cohen's Apple Pie
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 54.1g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 233mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 11 1/4 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled Braeburn apple (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled Cortland apple (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and salt in a large bowl; cut in 6 tablespoons butter and vegetable shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add lemon juice. Sprinkle surface with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Shape dough into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 1-inch-thick circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover and freeze 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place apples in a large bowl. Combine sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon, and allspice in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples; toss well to coat.
- Working with 1 dough portion at a time, roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough circle into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over the edge. Roll the remaining dough portion into a 10-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Spoon apple mixture into prepared pie plate, and dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Drizzle apple mixture with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Top with 10-inch dough circle. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under, and flute. Brush surface of dough with milk. Cut 3 (1-inch) slits in the top of dough to allow steam to escape. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until the apples are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Adreena Barmakian and Jayne Cohen's Apple Pie Recipe at a Glance