I made this to use our squash and kale and must say I was very impressed! The veggie broth (I used vegetarioan bullion) gives the penne a full flavor. We made this as our main dish with a side of bread! Yum! Thank you!
Acorn Squash and Kale Over Penne
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- Calcium: 293mg
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled acorn squash (about 2 medium squash)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups (about 5 ounces) coarsely chopped trimmed kale
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 cups hot cooked penne
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place squash in a casserole dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 7 minutes on HIGH or until tender.
- 2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add kale and broth; cover. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook 1 minute. Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in squash and pasta, tossing gently. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Andrea's wine pick: The white Sémillon grape's opulent fruit tinged with earthiness picks up both the sweetness of acorn squash and the kick of kale. Look for Peter Lehmann Sémillon, Australia 2001, $15.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes