Acorn Squash Cheese Spread
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 Medium Acorn Squash
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 1/2 stick(s) butter softened
- 1/4 cup(s) dates pitted, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) chutney, peach or TJ's cranberry preferred drained
- 1/4 cup(s) pecans chopped
- Small sliced bread or crackers to serve
- 1. Remove stem, if any, from squash so that
- it will stand up on that end. From the opposite or
- pointed end, cut off a 1" thick slice; discard seeds.
- Note: I actually do just the opposite. I do not remove
- the stem and make the slice from the stem end.
- This way I can use the slice as a "lid" or to just set
- next to the stuffed squash when serving. The
- pointed end needs a little leveling slice, so the
- squash will stand up.
- 2. In a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, in
- 1" boiling water, place squash cut-side up, with it's
- slice replaced on top. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
- 15 minutes or just until squash is fork-tender. Do not overcook.
- The squash needs to be firm enough to use as a shell.
- With slotted pancake turner, lift squash to drain on paper towels.
- Let cool.
- May also be cooked in microwave. Set squash in 1" of
- water and follow microwave instructions on cooking
- vegetables. Be careful not to overcook.
- 3. In small bowl with mixer at low speed beat cream cheese and
- butter until fluffy. Spoon flesh from squash, leaving a 1/4"-thick shell,
- and its slice into cheese mixture. Reserve squash shell;
- discard peel from the slice. Beat squash into cheese mixture
- until well-mixed. With spoon, stir in dates and chutney.
- Spoon some of the cheese spread into shell. Reserve any leftover
- to refill. Cover. Refrigerate until firm enough to spread.
- 4. To serve, place squash shell on a plate and surround with
- bread slices. Sprinkle nuts on top, if desired.
- Refill shell as needed with any leftover spread
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Trish1555 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Acorn Squash Cheese Spread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers