Achiote Flank Steak with Apple and Jicama Slaw
Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 503
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sodium: 395mg
- Cholesterol: 97mg
- 2 tablespoons ground annatto seeds (achiote)*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet Spanish paprika*
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 flank steak (1 1/4 lbs.)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 12 ounces jicama, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and sprigs
- 1. Heat a grill to high (450° to 550°). Mix annatto, oregano, paprika, garlic, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Rub 1 1/2 tbsp. oil and 2 tbsp. lime juice over steak and sprinkle both sides with spice mixture.
- 2. Grill steak, turning once halfway through, 4 minutes total for medium. Let rest 10 minutes. Warm tortillas on the grill, about 45 seconds each, and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- 3. Combine jicama, apple, cilantro, and remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, and 1/4 cup lime juice in a bowl. Slice steak crosswise. Serve slaw and steak with tortillas.
- *Find at well-stocked grocery stores; annatto is also at Latino markets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes