- 2 tablespoons ground annatto seeds (achiote)*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet Spanish paprika*
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 flank steak (1 1/4 lbs.)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 12 ounces jicama, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and sprigs
- calories 503
- caloriesfromfat 42 %
- protein 34 g
- fat 24 g
- satfat 6.6 g
- carbohydrate 40 g
- fiber 9 g
- sodium 395 mg
- cholesterol 97 mg
How to Make It
Heat a grill to high (450° to 550°). Mix annatto, oregano, paprika, garlic, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Rub 1 1/2 tbsp. oil and 2 tbsp. lime juice over steak and sprinkle both sides with spice mixture.
Grill steak, turning once halfway through, 4 minutes total for medium. Let rest 10 minutes. Warm tortillas on the grill, about 45 seconds each, and wrap in foil to keep warm.
Combine jicama, apple, cilantro, and remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, and 1/4 cup lime juice in a bowl. Slice steak crosswise. Serve slaw and steak with tortillas.
*Find at well-stocked grocery stores; annatto is also at Latino markets.