7 Layer Bean Dip
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 cups of refried beans, either from one 15-ounce can
- 2 strips of veggie bacon, cooked and minced (optional; can use olive oil instead)
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder, Tabasco chipotle sauce, or adobo sauce, more to taste (or plain chili powder to taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped green Anaheim chiles (canned) OR a Tbsp of chopped pickled jalapenos (more to taste)
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 hot house tomato, cut in half horizontally, seeds and juice gently squeezed out and discarded, chopped1/3 cup of sour cream, or if you can get it Crema Mexicana (Mexican sour cream) shopping list
- 1/2 small can of sliced ripe black olives
- Heat the refried beans in a medium saut pan or cast iron skillet. Stir in enough water to get a creamy, easily dip-able consistency, about 1/4 of a cup. Add the bacon or olive oil, to help the consistency of the beans.
- Mix in the chipotle chili powder (or Tabasco, or adobo, or regular chili powder) and cumin to taste. Note that the avocados and the sour cream will cool down the spiciness of the beans considerably, so you can afford to be a bit more spicy than you might think. Stir in salt to taste, depending on how salted your refried beans are to begin with, and depending on how salty the tortilla chips are that you are serving with the dip.
- Once the beans are hot and bubbly, spread them over the bottom of a warmed serving dish. Immediately add the shredded cheese so that the heat from the beans helps melt the cheese. (The cheese doesn't need to be completely melted, but even if it is just a little, it will help the dip stay on the chip.)
- Layer on the chopped green chilies, chopped avocado, chopped tomato. Spoon on the sour cream (or crema Mexicana, crema fresca, or even cream fraiche). Top with sliced green onions and olives.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by StephCandler and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
7 Layer Bean Dip Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers