- 1 1/2 pound lamb shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 4 small onions, peeled
- 4 carrots, scraped and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups seasoned mashed potatoes
How to Make It
Dredge lamb in flour; coat well. Sauté lamb in drippings in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Add water, salt, and pepper, stirring well; cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hours.
Add lima beans, onions, and carrots; cover and continue cooking over low heat 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from heat, and spoon meat mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Spoon mashed potatoes around edges of casserole.
Place casserole 5 to 6 inches from heating element. Broil 5 minutes or until potatoes are crusty brown.
Note: Mashed potatoes may be piped with a pastry bag for a more decorative effect.