1894 Sweet Potato Pie
Yield: one 9-inch pie
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 1 recipe Puff Paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 10 minutes; let cool to touch. Peel and cut into 1/4-inchthick slices; set aside.
- Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Carefully fit into a 9- inch pie plate. Chill remaining pastry. Arrange sweet potato slices evenly in the pastry shell, and set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, butter, and spices; stir well. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes.
- Roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, and place over filling. Trim edges; seal and flute. Cut slits in top pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool pie before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Pies/Pastries