10-inch Pie Pastry
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 87mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached or regular all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup cold solid shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups unbleached or regular all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1/4 cup (2 oz.) cold butter or margarine, cut into chunks, and 1/4 cup cold solid shortening, cut into chunks (or omit butter and use 1/2 cup shortening). With a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the fats or rub with your fingers until mixture forms pea-size crumbs.
- 2. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cold water over crumbs and mix with your hands until evenly moistened. Gently squeeze about 1/4 cup of the dough into a ball; if it won't hold together, crumble lump back into bowl, sprinkle with 1 more tablespoon water, and mix again until evenly moistened.
- 3. With lightly floured hands, form dough into a ball. Dust ball lightly with flour; flatten into a round about 3/4 inch thick, pressing edges to make smooth.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough firmly but gently in short strokes from the center outward to form a round 1/8 inch thick and about 14 inches wide; lift and turn dough occasionally, dusting underneath with more flour. If edges split while rolling, press them back toward the center to make smooth.
- 5. Fold dough round in half, lift gently without stretching, and lay folded edge across the center of a 10-inch pie pan. Unfold and ease dough into pan. Trim edge evenly 1 inch beyond pan rim; reserve scraps for other uses or discard. Fold edge under itself flush with rim; flute decoratively. Cover crust and chill until ready to use.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts