sl - Small-Plate Party Menu
Cook these mini crab cakes over medium-low heat to ensure a deep golden crust without overcooking the delicate crab. Pair with our homemade garlic-chive sauce.
1. Pick crabmeat, removing any bits of shell. Pulse bread slices in a blender or food processor 5 times or until finely crumbled. (Yield should be about 1 1/2 cups.)
2. Stir together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Gently stir in breadcrumbs and crabmeat. Shape mixture into 16 (2-inch) cakes (about 2 Tbsp. each).
3. Cook cakes, in batches, on a hot, large griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-low heat 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Season with salt to taste. (Keep cakes warm in a 200° oven for up to 30 minutes.) Serve with Garlic-Chive Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes, we used Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Whole Grain White Bread.
Note: Nutritional analysis does not include salt to taste.
Put out half of the skewers, and keep the remaining chilled until ready to serve.
1. Thread 1 melon cube, 1 prosciutto slice, and 1 mozzarella ball onto each of 20 (4-inch) wooden skewers. Sprinkle with cracked pepper.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Il Villaggio Mozzarella Fior di Latte Ciliegine cheese for mozzarella cheese balls.
Out of all the orange juices to choose from at the grocery store, we prefer Valencia varieties for this recipe. It has a rich, vibrant color. Regular orange juice will work, but expect a greenish tint.
1. Process 1/2 cup orange juice and basil leaves in a blender or food processor 10 seconds. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a 4-cup glass measuring cup; add remaining 2 1/2 cups orange juice. Stir in honey.
2. Divide mixture between 2 zip-top plastic freezer bags. Place bags on a jelly-roll pan. Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Remove bags from freezer, and let stand 10 minutes. Break mixture into small chunks using hands.
3. Process chunks, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
*1 Tbsp. (3 packets) no-calorie sweetener, such as Splenda, may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tropicana Pure Valencia Orange Juice.
Pineapple-Basil Ice: Substitute pineapple juice for Valencia orange juice. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Per serving: Calories 77; Fat 0.2g (sat 0g, mono 0 g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.5g; Carb 19g; Fiber 0.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 3mg; Calc 19mg.
Fresh Orange-Basil Ice: Substitute fresh orange juice for Valencia orange juice. Omit honey. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Per serving: Calories 56; Fat 0.3g (sat 0g, mono 0.1 g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.9g; Carb 13g; Fiber 0.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.3mg; Sodium 1mg; Calc 16mg.
White Grape-Mint Ice: Substitute white grape juice for orange juice and fresh mint leaves for basil leaves. Omit honey. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Per serving: Calories 50; Fat 0.1g (sat 0g, mono 0 g, poly 0g); Protein 0.7g; Carb 11.7g; Fiber 0.4g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 2mg; Calc 19mg.
Prepare tomato topping up to two days ahead; cover and store in the refrigerator. Toast bread slices one day ahead; store at room temperature in an airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together olive oil and garlic; brush on 1 side of each bread slice. Place bread slices, garlic sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
2. Whisk together lemon juice and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add tomato and next 3 ingredients; gently toss to coat.
3. Top each bread slice with tomato mixture (about 2 rounded teaspoonfuls each). Sprinkle with cheese.
Green Tomato-Fresh Herb Crostini: Substitute 1 finely chopped large green tomato for red tomato. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Fresh Herb-Tomato Tabbouleh Salad: Omit first 3 ingredients. Decrease feta cheese to 1/4 cup. Prepare tomato mixture as directed in Step 2; drain. Reserve seasoning packet from 1 (5.25-oz.) tabbouleh salad mix for another use. Pour tabbouleh mix into a large bowl; stir in 1 cup boiling water. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture. Cover and chill 1 hour. Top with feta cheese, and season with salt to taste. Makes 6 servings. Prep: 10 min; Chill: 1 hr., 30 min.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Near East Taboule Mix Wheat Salad.
Per serving: Calories 93; Fat 6.1g (sat 1.6g, mono 3.9g, poly 0.5g); Protein 2.1g; Carb 8.7g; Fiber 2.4g; Chol 6mg; Iron 0.9mg; Sodium 243mg; Calc 53mg.
Mini Crab Cakes With Garlic-Chive Sauce
Melon, Mozzarella, and Prosciutto Skewers
Fresh Herb-Tomato Crostini
This bite-size but heary menu offers big flavor with little fuss. (Serves 6)
Go to Full Version ofsl - Small-Plate Party Menu