Simple Spring Supper
To make the salsa mixture ahead, just cover and chill up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes, while steaks marinate in lime juice mixture.
1. Place strip steaks in a shallow dish, and add 1 tsp. grated lime rind and 1 1/2 Tbsp. lime juice, turning to coat.
2. Stir together pineapple, next 5 ingredients, remaining 1/2 tsp. grated lime rind, and remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. lime juice until blended.
3. Remove steaks from lime juice mixture, discarding juice. Sprinkle steaks evenly with 1 tsp. Jamaican jerk seasoning.
4. Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 4 to 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let steaks stand 10 minutes, and cut into thin strips.
5. Arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter, and top with sliced steak and salsa mixture. Garnish, if desired.
*1/2 cup salsa may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Desert Pepper Trading Company Peach Mango Salsa.
Southern Living AUGUST 2007
Combine flour and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milks and yolks, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
Arrange 1 cup banana slices in bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Spoon one-third pudding mixture over bananas; top with 15 vanilla wafers. Repeat layers twice, ending with pudding; arrange remaining 15 wafers around inside edge of dish. Gently push wafers into pudding.
Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of dish.
Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
Southern Living JANUARY 2003
Calypso Steak Salad
Make it special: Serve Salmon-and-Herb Cheese Bites as an appetizer.
Test Kitchen tip: Warm and recrisp a loaf of French bread directly on the middle oven rack at 425° for 5 to 10 minutes. (Serves 4)
Back ToSimple Spring Supper