sl - New Year's Day Meal Menu
Put these on before you leave for work, or cook them overnight and refrigerate until dinnertime. If you make this recipe a day ahead, refrigerate overnight and remove fat from the sauce before reheating. If you reheat in the microwave, use 50% power.
1. Cut ribs apart, if necessary, and trim excess fat; sprinkle 1 tsp. salt evenly over ribs.
2. Stir together remaining 1 tsp. salt, onion, and next 9 ingredients until blended. Pour half of onion mixture into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place ribs in slow cooker, and pour remaining mixture over ribs.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 to 7 hours or until ribs are tender. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used A.1. Steak Sauce.
Black-eyed peas are a traditional New Year's dish. Make this hearty version, flavored with ham hock and spicy peppers, to start the year off on the right flavor note.
1. Bring first 6 ingredients and, if desired, jalapeños to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Rinse and sort peas according to package directions. Add peas and 1/2 tsp. salt to Dutch oven, and cook, covered, 1 hour or until peas are tender. If desired, remove meat from ham hock, finely chop, and return to Dutch oven. Season with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste.
1. Sauté ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes.
Classic Barbecue Ribs
Hearty Black-eyed Peas
Turnip Greens Stew
A year's worth of good fortune never tasted so good. (Serves 6 to 8)
Go to Full Version ofsl - New Year's Day Meal Menu