ay - Memorial Day Picnic Menu
Combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and onion in a large bowl. Whisk or stir vigorously with a large spoon until well blended. Stir in blue cheese and parsley. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving with crudités. (Dip can be made up to 1 day in advance.)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Warm a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; cook, breaking it into small pieces and stirring until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse sand. Gently stir in sausage, milk and herbs.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured countertop; roll into a large, 1/2-inch-thick circle. Use a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter to form biscuits. Gather scraps into a ball, roll and cut again.
4. Place 12 biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
Dress up your usual turkey club with a little homemade herb mayo for a refreshing twist on the classic sandwich.
1. Stir together mayonnaise, basil, parsley and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Making one sandwich at a time, spread some herb mayonnaise on 1 side of 3 slices of bread. Layer 2 slices of turkey and 2 slices of tomato on 1 piece of toast, and top with a second, mayonnaise side up. Add 2 slices of bacon and 1 lettuce leaf. Top with third piece of toast, mayo side down.
3. Lightly press sandwich down and cut in half diagonally. Secure with toothpicks. Repeat to make remaining sandwiches.
Let a touch of heat from the spices and the acidity of the lime transform these chicken drumsticks into an easy yet extraordinary meal for a crowd.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse drumsticks, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in a flat layer in 2 large baking pans.
2. Mix remaining ingredients. Pour over drumsticks; turn them to coat. Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes. Remove foil, turn drumsticks; bake until cooked through, 35 minutes, basting often with pan juices. Let rest for 10 minutes, then serve hot; or let cool, cover and refrigerate to serve cold.
1. Stir mustard, honey and oil in a large bowl until smooth. Add pork cubes and toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature. Soak 8 bamboo skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat broiler to high and line a broiling pan with foil. (Alternatively, light a charcoal fire and let it burn to gray ash.) Divide pork and peppers into 8 portions and skewer cubes, alternating with squares of pepper (begin and end with pepper; use about 6 pepper pieces and 5 pork chunks per skewer). Thread each skewer as close as possible to center of pieces, to facilitate turning. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Broil or grill 6 to 8 inches from heat source, turning often, until slightly browned and pork is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
In a bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar. Stir in cabbage, onion, carrot and fresh dill. Add salt and pepper. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
This quick and easy 5-ingredient broccoli salad is brimming with flavor and nutrients from fresh broccoli and bell pepper slices.
1. Cut florets from broccoli. Trim florets into 1-inch pieces; trim stems, peel and cut into 1-inch pieces.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cook until tender but not mushy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain in a colander under cold running water. Pat broccoli dry with paper towels.
3. In a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk together until salt is dissolved and then slowly add oil, whisking constantly until blended and thickened.
4. Just before serving, add broccoli and peppers to bowl with vinaigrette. Toss until vegetables are thoroughly coated with dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.
1. In a large bowl, whisk vinegar with olive oil until blended. Add beans, corn and tomatoes.
2. Toss avocado cubes with lemon juice in a small bowl to prevent discoloration. Add to bean mixture.
3. Just before serving, gently stir salad and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.
Whisk sugar, lemon juice and 1 cup warm water in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Add tea bags, cover bowl and steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags. Fill a pitcher with ice and sliced peaches. Pour in tea and 7 cups cold water. Stir well; serve cold over additional ice.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on 2 sides. Mist foil with cooking spray.
2. Make swirl: Using a mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add egg; beat until smooth. Beat in sugar, flour and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
3. Make brownies: In a double boiler, melt butter with chocolate, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly.
4. Using a mixer on medium-low speed, beat eggs into chocolate mixture 1 at a time. Sprinkle flour over mixture and gently stir in.
5. Spread 1/2 of brownie batter in prepared pan. Carefully spread swirl mixture over brownie batter. Spoon remaining brownie batter on top. Use tip of a knife to gently swirl through both batters to form a marble pattern.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour. Remove brownies from pan to cutting board using foil to lift them out. Peel off foil and cut into squares.
Whisk or stir lemon juice with brown sugar in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add strawberries, kiwis and grapes. Toss gently until fruit is combined and coated in sugar mixture. Cover and refrigerate salad for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in torn fresh mint leaves. Serve cold.
Crudités with Blue Cheese Dip
Sausage and Herb Mini Biscuits
Turkey Club Sandwiches with Herb Mayonnaise
Honey-Mustard Pork Skewers
Creamy Dill Slaw
Broccoli and Bell Pepper Salad
Black Bean, Corn and Cherry Tomato Salad
Hibiscus Iced Tea with Peaches
Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
Strawberry and Kiwi Salad
Pack up these delicious dishes, spread out a blanket and celebrate summer's start. (Serves 8)
Go to Full Version ofay - Memorial Day Picnic Menu