Indian Idyll Menu
Summery fare flourishes in this outdoor buffet. Bring it home to your patio. (Serves 8)
Up to one week ahead:
• Prepare Indian-Spiced Roasted Nuts; store in an airtight container.
• Prepare Cumin-Scented Samosas with Mint Raita through step 3. Place in a single layer on baking sheets, and cover tightly with plastic wrap; freeze.
Up to two days ahead:
• Prepare Lime-Coconut Granita. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and freeze.
• Prepare brine for Chai-Brined Shrimp Skewers.
The day before:
• Marinate chicken for Grilled Tandoori Chicken; chill.
• Slice green onions for Chai-Brined Shrimp Skewers; cover and refrigerate.
• Prepare Tamarind Martini mixture; cover and chill.
• Prepare lime wedges, if using.
• Prepare Mint Raita for samosas.
• Grill eggplant for Toasted Eggplant Curry.
The morning of the party:
• Purchase fresh naan.
• Prepare Curried Rice Noodles in Lettuce Wraps. Cover and refrigerate.
• Scrape granita with a fork.
One hour before guests arrive:
• Prepare grill.
• Bake Cumin-Scented Samosas, and arrange on serving platter. (If samosas are frozen, they'll need to bake a few minutes longer.)
• Brine shrimp.
• Arrange self-service bar.
• Let Curried Rice Noodles in Lettuce Wraps stand at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes.
• Set out Indian-Spiced Roasted Nuts.
As guests arrive:
• Garnish martini glasses with sugar, if desired.
• Wrap store-bought naan in foil, and warm in oven at low temperature.
• Grill shrimp skewers and/or chicken thighs.
Just before serving:
• Shake Tamarind Martini mixture with ice.
• Reheat Green Beans and Potatoes in Chunky Tomato Sauce and Toasted Eggplant Curry.
• Fluff granita with a fork.
Cooking Light, May 2008
(Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.)