Cider-glazed pork chops served with a grains pilaf and fresh arugula salad create a quick and easy-yet elegant-dinner.
• Mushroom-barley pilaf: Cook 1 cup quick-cooking barley according to package direction, omitting salt and fat. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup chopping onion and 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in 2 minced garlic cloves; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup dry sherry; cook until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in barley; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
• Arugula salad with balsamic vinaigrette
1. While barley cooks:
• Prepare mushroom mixture for pilaf, and keep warm.
2. Prep ingredients for pork chops.
3. Cook pork chops.
4. Assemble and dress salad.