Thrill of the Hunt
Beef-and-Arugula Ciabatta Sandwiches are a welcomed addition to any lunch menu. These sandwiches get their zing from the red pepper jelly that's stirred into mayonnaise.
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together first 2 ingredients.
2. Place rolls on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted but still soft. Let cool 10 minutes; split rolls.
3. Spread cut sides of rolls with mayonnaise mixture. Layer bottom roll halves with beef, folding slices as needed to fit rolls. Top each with cheese, arugula, and remaining roll halves, mayonnaise mixture sides down.
Bring life back into your lunch with Ham-and-Fontina Sourdough Sandwiches. Deli ham gets dressed up with a pesto-mayonnaise mixture, fontina cheese, and basil leaves.
1. Stir together first 3 ingredients.
2. Spread 1 side of each bread slice generously with mayonnaise mixture. Layer cheese, bell pepper strips, ham, basil, and lettuce on half of bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices, mayonnaise mixture sides down. Cut sandwiches in half.
For a pleasing side to any meal, serve Roasted Vegetable Salad. Roasting enhances the flavor of these vegetables that are then tossed in a fresh basil and sesame-ginger dressing, allowing flavors to mingle.
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Stir together first 5 ingredients. Spread in a single layer on a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
2. Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until just tender and lightly browned. Cool 20 minutes.
3. Combine roasted vegetables, cabbage, and next 3 ingredients. Chill 30 minutes to 4 hours. Stir just before serving.
These delectable Pineapple-Coconut Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting start with a cake mix and are a favorite dessert for any gathering. Make an impression by making birds' nests with malted milk balls and edible paper as a garnish for these cupcakes.
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Place baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and lightly coat with cooking spray.
2. Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Add sour cream and next 3 ingredients, beating well after each addition. Add cake mix, and beat at low speed just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling three-fourths full.
3. Bake at 325° for 25 to 27 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 45 minutes).
4. Scoop out centers of cupcakes, using a 1-inch melon baller and leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Discard or reserve centers for another use. Spoon a heaping tablespoonful Pineapple Filling into center of each cupcake.
5. Pipe cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting.
TRY THIS TWIST!
Pineapple-Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting: Omit buttermilk and cream of coconut. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, adding 1 cup finely grated carrots; 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained; 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans; 1/4 cup vegetable oil; 1 tsp. ground cinnamon; and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger before adding cake mix, beating well after each addition. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Beef-and-Arugula Ciabatta Sandwiches
Ham-and-Fontina Sourdough Sandwiches
Roasted Vegetable Salad
Pineapple-Coconut Cupcakes with Buttermilk-Cream Cheese Frosting
Hosting a full-on holiday feast can turn you into a basket case. Instead, opt for this easy-yet-elegant gathering where adults can graze and relax as kids enjoy the fun.
Go to Full Version ofThrill of the Hunt