Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Fonda Shaia
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Key lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh Key lime juice
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 Key limes, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup fried tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- 1 avocado, very thinly sliced
- 1. Place chicken breasts and stock in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Skim and discard any foam that rises to the top. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and next 3 ingredients. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- 2. Transfer chicken to a plate. Strain stock through a very fine strainer, discarding solids, and skim off any fat from the top. Set aside.
- 3. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin, and pull the meat from the bones. Discard skin and bones, and shred chicken into strips. Set aside.
- 4. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add onion, ground black pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add bell pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- 5. Add tomato, Key lime zest and juice, and reserved shredded chicken and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer about 10 minutes. Divide soup among 6 bowls, and top each with serrano chiles, if desired, and remaining ingredients.