Notes: If making up to 1 day ahead, cool, cover, and chill. Reheat, covered, in a microwave-safe container in a microwave oven at full power (100%), stirring occasionally, until hot, 5 to 6 minutes. Or bake, covered, in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole in a 325° oven (350° if baking with a turkey at that temperature), stirring once or twice, until hot in the center, about 1 hour.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 1/2 pounds banana squash
- 1 pound mild Italian sausages
- 1 onion (12 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 in. long)
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil. Rinse and drain wild rice. Add to boiling water, cover, and return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender to bite and beginning to split, 35 to 45 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut off and discard pulp from squash. Cut squash into 1/2-inch cubes (you should have about 4 cups).
- 3. Remove casings from sausages and discard. Crumble sausages into a 5- to 6- quart nonstick pan; stir often over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat in pan. Add onion, stir often until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add white rice; stir until beginning to turn opaque, about 3 minutes.
- 4. Add broth, currants, coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add squash; cover and simmer over low heat, gently stirring once, until rice and squash are tender to bite, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5. Squeeze liquid from spinach. Add spinach and wild rice to pan and mix gently. Cover and cook until hot, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Calories: 257
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 9.3g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Cholesterol: 23mg