Howard L. Puckett
Finalist--Entrées. "Reducing some of the broth for the sauce and adding broth to the pasta water both deepen the flavor. I like the bite of the mustard greens and using healthy poultry sausage." -Jeff Violette, Oakland, ME
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (13.5-ounce) package uncooked whole wheat blend rotini (corkscrew pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
- 8 ounces bagged prewashed cut mustard greens
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place 1/2 cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat; simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Combine water and remaining broth in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in pasta. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well; place pasta in a large bowl. Keep warm.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in greens; cook 2 minutes or until greens wilt. Add reduced broth, half-and-half, and cheese. Cook 4 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta, and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 328
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 635mg
- Calcium: 164mg